The Anti-Colonial Committee (ACC) is a brand new working group of the Law Union of Ontario. We are a group of Indigenous people and allies, activists, lawyers, and law students working on issues relating to resistance to Canada’s ongoing colonialism towards First Nations and Aboriginal, Métis and Inuit peoples living on Turtle Island. Please see our about page for more on our mandate.
Some of our current ideas for coming projects include:
- Research bill C-45 and the interaction with section 35 of the Constitution Act;
- Research ways that section 35 of the Constitution Act can be used to leverage Indigenous sovereignty objectives;
- Create a research forum to better equip grassroots political movements with information primers and other tools to better inform demands;
- Partner with grassroots groups like Defenders of the Land to create a popular education program around Canadian legal issues and colonialism;
- Create a vehicle for students to focus their research in ways that are useful to grassroots movements;
- Participate in developing an accessible course on Aboriginal rights and title, focusing on i) Aboriginal rights, ii) Land Claims issues, iii) treaties, and iv) Indigenous legal and political orders.
- Create user-friendly popular education tools for grassroots political movements, using art and other creative means.